Spinside Access: Must-see Movies
By Luke Baldwin on August 21, 2017 in Company News
What is this? At Spinutech we’re all about the relationship. We don’t just want to be your service provider; we want to be your partner. We’ll be sharing an inside look at who we are in our new blog series: “Spinside Access.” Each month we’ll bring you a new post chock full of fun and interesting details about the team, as well as useful tips and resources!
Part 1: Hooray Beer; Part 2: Music makes me...; Part 3: Secret Talents; Part 4: The Best Gift Ever; Part 5: New Year's Resolutions; Part 6: Social Media Favorites; Part 7: March Madness; Part 8: April Fool's Pranks; Part 9: What's Your Entrance Song?
"Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now."
- Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase), National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Movies are great. They provide us a glimpse into other places, other times, even other universes. Movies make us laugh, they make us cry...heck, a great comedy can make us laugh so hard we cry! Movies bring people together. A good drama can be the start of a life-long relationship between two people. Or maybe there's a particular movie that is part of a holiday tradition, and it literally brings an entire family together. There are even movies that affect us so dramatically that we question our own purpose on earth. Whatever the movie or the reason for watching it, they are a big part of American culture, including right here at Spinutech.
Maybe it's the creative blood that flows through our veins but we at Spinutech have a particularly strong love of movies. So much so that we decided to share our love of movies with you! We polled 18 Spinutech movie lovers from our 3 office locations, across 7 different departments (Todd and Jeff, just because you spend most of your time in the kitchen and taproom, respectively, doesn't mean those are your departments. FYI.) and these are our findings!
Before we get into our recommendations, let's looks at some general statistics regarding the poll.
Percentage of respondents by location:
We don't know if location has anything to do with movie preference, but we wanted to be as transparent as possible sharing out such highly critical data (that's a joke...).
Cedar Falls: 9, Des Moines: 7, Chicago: 2
Percentage of respondents by department:
Since particular personalities are often found in particular departments (e.g., Sales people are crazy, Developers are reclusive nerds, Designers are awesome...) we figured including a departmental breakdown would be helpful.
Administration: 2, Design: 4, Development: 3, Digital Marketing: 5, Sales: 1, Support: 3
Favorite Movie Genres among all respondents:
We asked our respondents to share their top 3 movie genres. If you've worked with us, you should really find it as no surprise that the strong majority of us most like a good comedy. Let's be honest, a good sense of humor is critical in this business! ("...I like it, but can you make the logo bigger?")
Respondents were asked to submit their top 3 favorite movie generes. Action: 13, Animation: 4, Comedy: 17, Documentary: 5, Romance: 4, Drama: 7, Sci-Fi: 5, Musicals: 1
Ok...on to the really important stuff!
Our "Must-see Movies" Lists
The following lists represent our respondents #1 movie in each category. The movies are listed in alphabetical order. Duplicate responses are listed just once.
Best "I just broke-a-rib laughing" movie (funny movies)
- Bad Moms
- Beverly Hills Cop 2
- Blazing Saddles
- Dumb and Dumber
- Grumpy Old Men
- Hot Rod
- Me, Myself, & Irene
- Meet the Fockers
- Old School
- Saving Silverman
- Step Brothers
- Talladega Nights
- Wedding Crashers - Alyssa can (and will if requested) recite this entire movie, word for word. "Ma! The meatloaf!"
Best "hey honey, let's watch a movie tonight" movie (date movies)
- 50 First Dates
- As Good As It Gets
- Beverly Hills Cop 2
- Dumb and Dumber
- Father of the Bride
- Jerry Maguire
- Love Actually
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Princess Bride
- Rocky IV
- The Girl Next Door
- The Hangover - Props to Lauren, this undoubtedly scores you major points with your hubby!
- The Lincoln Lawyer
- The Notebook
Note: "Doesn't exist" and "None" were also submitted but something tells me those aren't movies...
Best "the presents are unwrapped, let's watch a movie" movie (holiday movies)
- A Christmas Story
- Bad Santa
- Die Hard
- Grandmas boy
- Home Alone
- National Lampoons Christmas Vacation - Clear crowd favorite, taking 8 total votes!
- Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
Speaking of great movies, have you seen our Spinutech Christmas 2013 video? If not, "you're in for a real treat!"
Best "hey kids, let's have a family night" movie (family movies)
- Beauty and the Beast
- Beverly Hills Cop 2 - I'm seeing a pattern here, Lydia, and BHC2 is most-definitely NOT a kids movie!
- Despicable Me
- Finding Nemo
- Goonies - I gotta give this one a personal shout-out as it is easily the greatest movie of my childhood. "But first you gotta do the truffle shuffle!"
- Harry Potter
- Hitchiker's Guide to The Galaxy
- Home Alone
- Lego Batman
- Lion King
- School of Rock
- The Sandlot
- Toy Story
Note: "Any Disney movie" was also a noteworthy response. For the record, there are a LOT of them!
Best "that scared the crap out of me" movie (scary movies)
- Blair Witch Project
- No Country for Old Men
- Pet Cemetery
- Shrek - Alan, word of advice: don't ever visit Disney World.
- Silence of the Lambs
- The Conjuring
- The Purge
- The Ring - If you don't like scary stuff, don't watch this clip and DEFINITELY don't watch the entire movie!
Best "I need a good cry" movie (tearjerker movies)
- Kramer vs Kramer
- Marley and Me
- My All American
- My Girl
- My Life
- Old Yeller
- Passion of the Christ
- The Iron Giant
- Hardball (the last 15 minutes - G-BABY!)
- The Notebook
- Sinister - cry, Brandon...not scream in terror!
- Titanic - I don't want to say too much and ruin the ending for you...
Note: "These should be wiped from the planet" was also a noteworthy response.
The Greatest Movies of All-time and Why
The following represent the best movies off all-time and, in some cases, why. You may beg to differ but our people know their stuff, so we're presenting this as THE authoritative and definitive list!
- A Knight's Tale "Because Heath Ledger (RIP)" - Lauren McGill
- Beverly Hills Cop 2 - Lydia Anderson (how'd we know you were going to say that, Lydia?)
- Donnie Darko "Every time I watch this movie I realize something new about it. So many unanswered questions!!!" - David Jozefczak
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off "It's just an iconic movie that basically pioneered breaking the fourth wall. Everything about it from the music to the quotes to the Ferrari is just fantastic. Plus, it's so great that it's set in Chicago - especially the scenes in the Art Institute and Wrigley Field, two places that are so familiar to me." - Sarah Mueller
- Gladiator - Chuck Christensen (a man of few words)
- Home Alone "I love Christmas time and the movie brings back great memories" - Joel Laneville
- La La Land "I know what you are thinking - of all time?! But, yes. HAVE YOU SEEN IT?! It's amazing. (Honorable Mention: Love & Basketball, Breakfast Club, Breakfast at Tiffany's)" - Alyssa Boruff
- Arrival "Lots of contenders but this Sci-Fi drama from 2016 is very much a "thinking man's" sci-fi movie in that dialogue, emotion and the overall atmosphere push the movie forward rather than action. It is such an experience to watch it for the first time as you feel the emotions of the characters and the concepts that the audience are presented with really challenge the watcher's understanding of basic institutions like language and culture. The director Villeneuve strikes gold again and is greatly supported by the great acting of the lead Amy Adams. Shout outs to The Martian, Ex Machina, and Blade Runner." - Tyler Peekenschneider
- Pulp Fiction "I'm not a fan of the "I knew that was gonna happen" movies...Pulp Fiction is far from that. Mind blowing creativity. Plus John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson!" - Brandon Bever
- Shawshank Redemption "It's one of those movies that never gets old. Anytime I come across it while channel surfing, I end up watching it all the way through again." - Mark Palmer; "Such a great "overcoming tough times" movie." - Shane Klein; "It plays on TNT at least 47 times a week and I still watch it every time." - Luke Baldwin
- Scarface "I could go with the Dark Knight or Interstellar too. Too hard to pick just one movie when you are a movie buff. Best movie of all time must meet certain criteria but most notably, it's got to be a movie that I can watch again and again and never get bored of it. Of course a good script, acting, cinematography, and dialogue help too!" - Alan Corley
- The 'burbs "It just is." - Brian Allen
- The Dark Knight "Heath Ledger did an amazing job pulling off the intense role as the Joker. He had you on the edge or your seats throughout the entire movie. He really tapped into the dark side of the character and portrayed the Joker well. The mental and physical preparation had to be intense. He lived, breathed that character until the end. Rip Heath..."Why so serious?" Hands down best movie!" - Brianne Koch
- Tommy Boy "Best. Movie. Ever." - Jeff Jones
- Top Gun "It set the standard for every movie that came after it." - Todd Reifenrath
- Saving Private Ryan "So hard to answer. Going with this one." - Marc Reifenrath
Just For Fun
We've all wanted to be the hero that saves the day, or maybe the villain that ruins it. Good or evil, we asked our staff, "if you were a movie character, who would you be and why?" As far as I'm concerned, all of us here at Spinutech are already magical heroes in our own ways, but here's who we really want to be. Some of them might surprise you!
- Dominic Toretto, The Fast and the Furious "Because I live my life a quarter mile at a time" - Lydia Anderson
- Neo, The Matrix "Because he's a quiet programmer who chooses to go rogue against the system that forces him to be a slave. And he's badass once he does." - Alan Corley
- Jason Bourne "Secret agent duh no brainer plus some awesome moves would be nice" - David Jozefczak
- Cher, Clueless "That closet...." - Lauren McGill
- Lt. Pete Mitchell aka. Maverick, Top Gun "Ladies man with some flying skills" - Jeff Jones
- Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean "The guy knows how to take care of business, maybe not the best way, but he's havin' a good time." - Brandon Bever
- Truman Burbank, The Truman Show "I swear sometimes it feels my life is scripted and everyone knows it but me." - Shane Klein
- Rachel McAdams - Brianne Koch (ok, we're not sure WHICH Rachel McAdams character you want to be, Bree...maybe a mashup of all of them!)
- Luke Skywalker, Star Wars "Literally 95% of the people I know have said to me "Luuuuke, I am your father" at least once. Which has never been funny, by the way. But seriously...a light saber?! Who wouldn't want one of those?!" - Luke Baldwin
- Shaun, Shaun of the Dead "He is a spectacularly average guy that survives a zombie apocalypse. I like to think that I, being an average guy, would also survive a zombie apocalypse." - Tyler Peekenschneider
- Eddie Morra, Limitless "Easy. You get super awesome powers, can't beat that." - Marc Reifenrath
- Iron Man "Because he is one bad mamma jamma" - Joel Laneville
- James Bond "Cool gadgets, driving the coolest cars and a delightful British accent. The ladies aren't bad either." - Mark Palmer
- Kevin McCallister, Home Alone "I want my shot at Marv & Harry." - Alyssa Boruff
- Ethan Hunt, Mission Impossible "Cause he can do it all" - Chuck Christensen
Let's be honest, half the reason we watch movies is so we can walk away with some sweet quotes to use over and over and over...and over at the office and with our friends. There is definitely no shortage of movie quotes used on a daily basis here at Spinutech. The following are some of our very favorites. But there's a catch! We're not telling you what movie they came from (although you should be ashamed of yourself if you don't know most of them). Your homework is to go out and watch the recommendations we gave you above and see if you can find the source of these little gems. Good luck!
- "So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice."
- "Hasta la vista, baby."
- "If you aint first your last"
- "How did you get the beans over the frank?"
- "I love lamp.”
- "The first rule is we can't talk about it."
- "She doesn't even go here!
- "Carol! Get your s**t together Carol!"
- "I ain't got time to bleed."
- "Oh yes, the past can hurt. But, you can either run from it or, learn from it."
- "The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bulls**t story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it."
- "I got some beers, lets drink 'em!"
- "Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this...and TOTALLY redeem yourself."
- "What you've said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
- "There's no place like home."
- "My mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
- "E.T. phone home."
- "Cuz I like to party."
- "What is your major malfunction, numb nuts?!"
- "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
- "So long and thanks for all the fish."
- "The needs of the many outweigh... the needs of the few... or the one."
- "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
- "You lock it up.”
- “They’ve done studies, you know. 60 percent of the time, it works every time.”
- "Clark, I'm gonna get you something...real nice" "
- "Oh, that uh, that there's an RV. Yeah, yeah, I borrowed it off a buddy of mine. He took my house, I took the RV. It's a good looking vehicle, ain't it?"
- "Buzz, your girlfriend...woof!"
- "We're going streaking!"
- "The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club."
- "Mom! The Meatloaf!"
- "Leyla! Get back in your cell...don't make me get the hose"
- "Who you goin' to the dance with anyway? Spalding?"
- "May the force be with you."
- "Alrighty then"
- "Are you not entertained?"
There you have it, plenty of must-see movies to keep you entertained for the foreseeable future. Any we missed? Disagree with any of our choices? Let us know what you think and what your favorite movies are in the comments section below.